Frankfurter sausages, historical cathedrals, state-of-the-art castles, museums, and galleries are what you expect when visiting Germany's “Little Manhattan”. The city’s nickname reflects its impressive skyscraper skyline overlooking the River Main.
Frankfurt is Europe's financial capital, home to numerous banks and businesses, and the third-largest airport in the EU! It’s no surprise that it has become a central hub for tourism and business.
As one of the most expensive cities in Germany to live in, a visit here does not come cheap and you can expect a dent in your wallet after a stay in Frankfurt. So how can you save while visiting an expensive city like Frankfurt? Hostels are the answer!
There is no need to spend a fortune when visiting Frankfurt thanks to the city's many hostel options. The choices are endless, from family hostels for relaxing to youth hostels for gathering. So now the question is which hostel is best for you?
How much does it cost to stay in a hostel in Germany?
Hostel options range from family hostels to hostels for couples and solo travelers. With more than 600 hostels all over Germany to choose from, you’re bound to find one that fits your needs.
On average, a single dorm spot runs about US$20 to US$30 per night while a private room goes anywhere from US$100 to US$300 per night. Prices vary based on location and amenities, so researching hostels specific to your destination is vital when planning a budget-friendly trip.
This guide covers cheap hostels located in Frankfurt starting as low as US$25 to as high as US$75 a night.
Top-rated hostels in Frankfurt
Whether you’re traveling alone or with family, a&o Frankfurt Ostend is one of the best hostels in Frankfurt located at Hanauer Landstraße 207.
The hostel offers private rooms for singles seeking a bit of privacy or couples and families. Budget travelers can also opt for their standard dorm beds for six people, either in an exclusive room for females or mixed genders.
Need to work while traveling? The hostel has meeting rooms and co-working spaces to get you feeling productive. Breakfast is not included in the booking, but you can always eat at their affordable breakfast buffet.
a&o Frankfurt Ostend is located in one of the most convenient locations to stay in. It’s just opposite the train station and close to popular landmarks including Hafenpark and Frankfurt Zoo. Topped with a children's play area, a&o Frankfurt Ostend is 1 of the best family hostels in Frankfurt.
Features to Love:
- Price: US$25+/night (dorm) or US$73+/night (private single room) at time of publishing
- Free: Wi-Fi and city maps
- Facilities: Snack bar, children's play area, pet-friendly rooms
- Services: 24-hour service
- Landmarks: Close to Hafenpark, Ostpark, Frankfurt Zoo
- Rating: 7.8/10 on HostelWorld
Five Elements Hostel Frankfurt is one of the best hostels in Frankfurt for couples with its affordable twin rooms and dorms. Its convenient location offers a short walk to the nearest train station, museums, galleries, and the city center. Nestled in the heart of Frankfurt's red-light district, you can expect a bustling street packed with bars and clubs.
Get your hands on their free hostel amenities including free Wi-fi, bed linens, tea and coffee, lockers, and padlocks. Don't miss out on their free special events in the evenings!
Plus, vegans and vegetarians need not worry as they serve a variety of suitable breakfast options to fit your preferences.
Features to Love:
- Price: US$25+/night (dorm) or US$72+/night (private twin room) at time of publishing
- Free: Wi-Fi, city maps, linens
- Facilities: Security locker, BBQ area, bar, cafe, entertainment area
- Services: 24-hour reception, laundry, luggage storage
- Landmarks: Close to Red Light District, Frankfurter Römer, Alte Oper, Oper Frankfurt, Städel Museum
- Rating: 7.9/10 on HostelWorld
It may be on the pricier side, but Hotel Hoechster Hof is one of the top-rated accommodations in Hostelworld with a rating of 8.7/10. They provide private rooms for up to four people. The rooms are furnished with standard amenities such as cable TV, a mini bar, and a bathtub or shower.
Guests love its perfect location, just about six miles from the city center and close to several attractions such as Bolongaropalast and River Main. Moreover, there's a complimentary breakfast and free cancellation option. It’s one of the best family hostels in Frankfurt that is near Frankfurt Airport.
Features to Love:
- Price: US$59+/night (private single room) or US$79+/night (private double room) at the time of publishing
- Free: Wi-Fi and breakfast
- Facilities: Cable TV, non-smoking rooms, view of River Main
- Services: Internet access,
- Landmarks: Close to River Main, Bolongaropalast, Porcelain Museum
- Rating: 8.7/10 on HostelWorld
Among all the hostels in Frankfurt Germany near the airport, MEININGER Frankfurt Main Airport is the closest. In fact, you can reach the airport by taking a short walk from the hostel!
This hostel is located a bit further from the city, approximately five miles from the city center and within close proximity to Gateway Garden.
Whether you prefer single, double, or dormitory rooms, the hostel provides a variety of room options fit for every kind of traveler. One of MEININGER’s most attractive features is its free services, including free Wi-fi, a guest kitchen, luggage storage, a terraced backyard, an airliner lounge, and a screen with updated arrival and departure times.
If you need to do your own laundry, this hostel is equipped with a washing machine and dryer to use for a small fee. Plus, there's also no need to go far for food since they provide small-fee food packages such as breakfast to-go, lunch, or a sandwich and hot drink combo for early birds.
Features to Love:
- Price: $32+/night (dorm) or $85+/night (private single room) at the time of publishing
- Free: Wi-Fi, bed linen, towels
- Facilities: washing machine, wheelchair-friendly, parking, pet-friendly rooms
- Services: 24-hour reception, airport transfers, entertainment area, bar, and cafe
- Landmarks: Close to Frankfurt Airport Terminal 2 and Gateway Garden
- Rating: 9.1/10 on HostelWorld
One of the best hostels in Frankfurt for couples is Hotel Europa Life. I’m talking about a private room for 2 at a seriously low cost. They don’t offer traditional dorm-style rooms here, but you can book a single private room, a twin or double room, or a three-bed private ensuite.
The rooms already have all the standard amenities you’d expect for a comfortable stay, including TV, hair dryers, air conditioning, internet access, and a minibar. It’s located in the heart of the city and is one of the best hostels in Frankfurt near Frankfurt (Main) Hauptbahnhof, the grand Main station.
With easy access to some of the city's historical landmarks, museums, and shopping districts, this hostel is perfect for the budget traveler.
Features to Love:
- Price: $74+/night (private single) or $78+/night (private twin or double) at the time of publishing
- Free: Wi-Fi, city maps, breakfast
- Facilities: luggage storage, bar, t_CAF
- Services: 24-hour reception, housekeeping, currency exchange, fax
- Landmarks: Close to River Main, Frankfurt (Main) Hauptbahnhof grand main station, Frankfurter Märchenbrunnen, Jewish Museum Frankfurt, Nizza
- Rating: 9.3/10 on HostelWorld
Plan your visit to Frankfurt with Pilot!
If you’ve booked a trip recently, you’ll know that the world has gone digital. Plane tickets and hostel reservations can now all be accessed at the palm of your hand.
As you start planning your Frankfurt trip, you’ll need to scroll through your inbox for multiple different confirmation emails. Sometimes they may get lost. So instead of getting stressed about planning, why not try out a travel planning app?