Did you just say "yes" to a trip to the sparkling city of Singapore? Boy, do you have plenty to see! Its out-of-this-world architecture, lush urban gardens, and countless tourist destinations are always a hit.
When planning for your Singapore vacay, one of the first things to consider is where to stay. Singapore may be a small city, but the options are practically endless when it comes to accommodations.
Come explore with me and let's find out which neighborhoods in Singapore are best for you.
Which Singapore Neighborhoods to Stay In
Whether you're a party animal, a solo budget traveler, or a family of five with kids, you can enjoy Singapore the way you want to.
Take your pick from three of the best neighborhoods in Singapore:
- Marina Area
- Orchard District
- Sentosa Island
Marina Bay: The First-Timer
If it's your first time traveling to Singapore, the Marina Bay Area is the way to go! It's no doubt one of the best neighborhoods in Singapore for first-time visitors.
Prepare to be amazed at the architectural wonders that you'll find here. Think of spectacular cityscapes with fantastic skyline views and striking architecture galore.
Conveniently situated at the heart of the city's downtown district, it's easily accessible from other significant locations, such as Clarke Quay and the Business District. It's also conveniently located near public transportation stops.
Best Things to Do
This is the ideal neighborhood to be as touristy as you like. Marina Area has all of Singapore's major landmarks, offering a whole host of things to do, such as:
- Taking an early morning stroll at Gardens by the Bay. Spend peaceful early mornings taking a stroll in this sprawling urban garden where you'll see a one-of-a-kind Cloud Forest
- Snapping a few pics at the Merlion. Best done at night!
- Enjoying a breathtaking view from the SkyPark Observation Deck. Undoubtedly one of the best ways to take in the sights at the Marina Bay Sands.
- Having a thrilling Sky Dining experience at the Sky Flyer. Evening views of the city's skyline while enjoying a dinner for two? Yes, please!
Don't let the crowds intimidate you while traveling around Marina Bay. However, if you're craving some peace and quiet, take a stroll in the early morning hours. You'll still get to enjoy the beautiful scenery, but with fewer tourists around.
Where To Stay
- Marina Bay Sands. If you can afford to splurge, book a room at this iconic hotel. This luxury hotel offers rooms with amazing views and an infinity pool.
- Orchid Hotel. Backpacking alone? Try this stylish four-star hotel that's easier on the wallet.
Orchard District: The Shopaholic
Singapore is a place to shop till you drop! Orchard District is the best place to do this in Singapore. Orchard Road is literally lined with several malls, featuring designer brands like Gucci, Chanel, and more. Itching to swipe those cards yet?
Best Things to Do
Orchard District is known as the shopping capital of Singapore. It's primarily the main activity that happens here. Whether you're a first-time traveler or a repeat visitor, there are a ton of other activities you'll love.
- Go shopping on the Shopping Belt. Famous for the malls and shops that line the streets, it's also a pretty enjoyable walk because of the quaint streets and cafes lined around the halls.
- Have a few drinks at Emerald Hill. Known for its hippie, laidback vibe, Emerald Hill is where people stop to enjoy a few drinks with friends.
- Relax at Fort Canning Park. Tired of all that shopping? Stretch your legs at this beautiful hilltop park.
- Smell the flowers at Singapore Botanical Gardens. Singapore isn't known as one of the "greenest cities" in the world for nothing. This massive rainforest at the edge of the Orchard District with a lovely orchid garden is a beautiful sight to see.
Where to Stay
- Shangri-La. If five-star accommodation is what you're looking for, consider booking a room at Shangri-La. You'll enjoy its lush gardens and elegant rainforest vibe.
- Hotel Supreme. This is a more budget-friendly, three-star hotel that's a short walk away from the shopping belt.
Sentosa: Families and Party People
If you're traveling with the whole fam, one of the best neighborhoods in Singapore is Sentosa. It's an island just off Singapore City that's famous for sandy beaches and theme parks that kids will love! But the fun doesn't stop there. It's a hotspot of electric nightlife as well.
In the daytime, this tropical paradise is the perfect retreat for families and friends. At night, it comes alive with clubs, parties, and bars. You can't miss the island's vibrant night lights when the sun goes down.
Best Things to Do
If you're here for a family outing, best set aside at least two days on Sentosa Island. There are adventure parks as well as beaches for everyone to have a great time!
- Spend a day or two on water adventures. If you and your kids love water sports and water adventures, you'll surely get your fill here! There are several adventure parks in the area, namely Adventure Cove Waterpark, Dolphin Island, and HydroDash Floating Aqua Park.
- Check out lifelike statues of famous people at Madame Tussaud's Singapore. Dying to see your celebrity idols up close? The lifelike wax sculptures at Madame Tussaud's come eerily close to the real thing.
- Go swimming. Choose from several beaches on Sentosa Island, such as Sentosa Beach, Palawan Beach Club, and Siloso Beach. At Siloso Beach, you'll also get the chance to see Magical Shores, a fun show of lights and sounds featuring the beach's natural scenery.
At night, wonder where the party people are at. Have fun and be the life of the party at these exciting nightlife happenings in Sentosa:
- Unleash your inner naturalist. Who says nightlife should only mean drinks and a party? Sentosa offers a unique nighttime experience at Sentosa Naturalist Night Adventure, where you can observe the area's nocturnal wildlife.
- Drink and be merry. Find other party peeps like yourself at the usual spots, like Ola Beach Club and FOC Sentosa.
- Let SkyHelix Sentosa take your breath away. Need a truly exhilarating night? Why not get on this rotating gondola that will take you 79 meters up in the air?
Where to Stay
- Shangri-La Sentosa. Make the most of your stay at this gorgeous beachfront luxury hotel. It offers both hill and ocean views, plus amenities like its own adventure park and a relaxing spa. An ideal place for those who don't mind paying five-star money.
- Siloso Beach Resort Sentosa. This rustic resort is best for families and travelers looking for a budget-friendly but comfortable option.
Take Your Pick or Enjoy Them All!
If you ask me, all of these Singapore neighborhoods sound exciting! They each have their own charms, so if you would instead try them all instead of picking just one destination, why wouldn't you?
Don't worry about the hassle of travel planning...