Skip the typical itinerary and head to Pig Island in the Bahamas for a one-of-a-kind holiday. From the cost, how to get there, and tips and tricks, this quick guide covers them all for a smooth Pig Island trip.
Stunning white sand beaches, clear blue waters, and unbeatable weather are a few reasons why the Bahamas is a tropical hot spot. It has plenty of island adventure to offer, thanks to its 700 islands.
However, one of the fantastic things to do in the Bahamas is to swim with pigs at Pig Beach!
Nestled on Big Major Cay in the Exumas is an island of pigs, packed with a population of approximately 60 Bahamas beach pigs. How they got there is still a mystery today.
Not every day can you swim with pigs on the beach, so why not include it on your bucket list of unusual activities to do?
How to Visit Island With Swimming Pigs
Whether arriving from Nassau, Staniel Cay, or Great Exuma, the only way to reach the island is by boat via a private or group tour.
- Nassau - If you’re coming from Nassau, you can take a 35-min plane ride to Staniel Cay or a 3-hour speedboat ride straight to the beach.
- Staniel Cay - Staniel Cay is the closest island near Pig Beach, about 10 minutes by boat.
- Great Exuma - Another great option is booking a boat ride from Great Exuma, which is approximately an hour and 45 minutes.
In each location, you can easily find tour companies available for booking. The tours offer an all-inclusive package tour for half or full days. These packages typically include transportation costs, entry fees, island hopping, lunch, and other activities like swimming with nurse sharks.
How Much Is Swimming With Pigs in the Bahamas
The total expenses vary on the season, transportation, tour package inclusions, and where you’re coming from.
Generally, swimming with pigs in the Bahamas costs about US$200 to US$400 per person on a group tour. Expect the prices to be higher should you opt for a private tour.
You can book a tour online in advance to secure your reservation since these tours get fully booked quickly. Should you book the excursion from the islands, it is best to always negotiate with them to get the best prices.
Below are some examples of top-rated tour operators and their cheapest package options, with the prices included based on the time this article was first published.
- Package: Half-day tour departing from Staniel Cay (4 hours)
- Package: Open-seat full-day tour departing from Great Exuma (8:45 am to 4:45 pm)
- Package: Full-day tour departing from Great Exuma
Other Islands Where You Can Swim With Pigs
Since Big Major Cay is the most famous island to swim with pigs, expect the prices to be higher. Not to worry, there are still other good places to see pigs on the beach and have fun at a much lower price.
If you’re looking for more budget-friendly tours, here are some islands where you can find more pigs:
- Rose Island: About 25 minutes from Nassau via boat.
- Dove Cay, Long Island: An hour and 30 minutes by boat from Nassau.
- White Bay Cay: About 60 miles from Nassau. Exuma Water Sports offers a half-day swimming pigs tour.
What to Know Before Visiting Pigs on the Beach
You should know about the dos and don’ts before coming to Pig Beach to ensure the pigs’ safety and yours. Yes, it may be a playful encounter, but it can also become unsafe, especially when injuries are caused.
Take note that these pigs are considered feral and can become a bit aggressive. Here is a quick reminder of what you can and can’t do with the pigs you meet on the beach:
- Respect their space and let them come to you.
- Feed the pigs only healthy food such as vegetables and fruits.
- Watch out for your hands when feeding, as the pigs may accidentally bite them with their strong jaws.
- Feed them on land, not in the waters, to help curb their habit of swimming for food.
- Do not hurt, tease, or chase them.
- Do not feed the pigs harmful food such as processed food, snacks, or leftovers.
- Never turn your back on them, as they may bite you from behind.
- Do not litter! Instead, take your trash with you in the boat when you leave.
- Avoid touching the piglets.
What to Bring on the Trip!
Going to Pig Beach requires several must-bring items to protect and keep you comfortable simultaneously. Before going on a beach trip, jot down your beach vacation packing list, so you don’t forget anything! Here are some suggestions on what to bring:
- Swimming attire
- Beach towel
- Extra clothes for changing
- Waterproof phone and camera case
- Waterproof bags
- Beach slippers or aqua shoes
- Extra cash
What to See and Do Nearby
Most tours offer a complete package with side trips to other islands. Compass Cay, Pipe Cay, Thunderball Grotto, Harvey Cay, and Bitter Iguana Cay are some of the most-visited islands.
Aside from swimming at Pig Beach, you can also visit some of the most popular tourist attractions nearby and see Iguanas, a James Bond film location at Thunderball Grotto, nurse sharks, plane wreck locations, sandbars, and snorkeling and diving spots.
Best Time to Visit?
Although the Bahamas is one of the best destinations all year round, it is still best to avoid the rainy and stormy months from June to September so that you can still participate in water activities.
You should only go during the peak season, from December to April, if you want the most desirable weather. However, expect crowded beaches and more expensive tours during this time.
The quieter months are between mid-September to November. It’s considered the off-season and the best time to visit with fewer crowds. The weather is still suitable for a vacation despite the light rain you may experience during this season.
Plan your Bahamas Holiday with Pilot!
Whether you love a beach vibe or enjoy trying unique itineraries, the Bahamas is worth the trip with a Pig Beach stop added to your itinerary!
If you need help planning your trip to see the Bahamas’ beach pigs, why not enlist the help of Pilot?
Pilot is your brand new trip planner that helps you discover and build travel itineraries connecting you to resources everywhere. Make the planning experience more fun by collaborating with your travel buddies!
Pilot makes it fun and easy to share and relive your favorite travel memories with many useful features!
Did we mention that it's completely free? Try it out now!