Ecuador is a stunningly beautiful country on the west coast of South America. Home to the famous Galapagos Islands and known as the world's most biodiverse country, it's no wonder why people from all over come to visit.
With its long coastline on the Pacific Ocean, it offers a plethora of opportunities for surfing enthusiasts. From beginner-friendly waves to thrilling barrels, Ecuador's surfing spots have something for everyone.
You might be wondering where the best surfing spots are in Ecuador. What should you expect there, and what do you need to prepare for the trip beforehand?
Well, don't worry! This guide will cover everything you need to know when planning your surfing trip to Ecuador!
Why Surf in Ecuador?
There are plenty of reasons why surfing in Ecuador is a must-do for avid surfers.
Did you know that Ecuador boasts some of the best waves in South America? The country's long coastline is home to numerous surf spots that offer consistent swells year-round.
Ecuador is also known for its diverse and unspoiled natural landscapes, making it an ideal destination for surfers who love hiking the great outdoors. What's more, Ecuador is a relatively affordable country to travel to, making it an excellent destination for budget-conscious travelers.
Top 5 Surfing Spots in Ecuador
There are several fantastic places to surf in Ecuador, each offering unique waves and experiences. Here are some of the best surf spots to try:
Located on the southern coast of Ecuador, Montañita is one of the country's most famous surf destinations. It offers consistent waves year-round, with the best surfing conditions from December to April.
Montañita is known for its lively surf culture, with plenty of surf schools, shops, and bars catering to surfers. Here, you'll find a community of like-minded travelers and create friendships that can last for a lifetime.
Ayampe is a small coastal village located north of Montañita, offering a more relaxed and laid-back surf experience. It also has a consistent left-hand point break suitable for intermediate to advanced surfers.
Ayampe is also a great place to explore Ecuador's can't-miss lush tropical forests and diverse wildlife. You can take a break from surfing and strap on some boots to go hiking amongst the jaw-dropping scenery of Ecuador.
Canoa is a popular surf spot on Ecuador's northern coast, known for its long and consistent beach breaks. Offering year-round surfing, the best conditions are from December to April. Canoa is an excellent place for beginner to intermediate surfers, with plenty of surf schools and rental shops around.
If you're a surfer looking for a hidden gem, you gotta check out Mompiche! This secluded surf spot is located on Ecuador's northern coast and offers an uncrowded and peaceful surfing experience. It has a consistent left-hand point break, making it a perfect spot for intermediate and advanced surfers.
Mompiche is also a paradise for beach lovers and nature enthusiasts. You'll be blown away by the pristine beaches and rich biodiversity of the surrounding area. If you're looking for a one-of-a-kind surfing adventure, Mompiche is the spot for you!
1. San Mateo
San Mateo is another hidden gem, located on the southern coast of Ecuador, it offers a consistent and uncrowded beach break. It's also an excellent place for beginner to intermediate surfers since it has tons of surf schools and rental shops.
Home to Machalilla National Park, San Mateo is another great location for nature lovers to explore Ecuador's diverse natural landscapes.
Tours & Companies to Consider
If you're new to surfing or simply want to improve your skills, several surf schools and companies in Ecuador offer lessons and tours. Here are two of the best:
- Balsa Surf Camp: Located in Montañita, Balsa Surf Camp is a famous surf school that offers lessons for all skill levels. The school has a team of experienced instructors and provides all the necessary equipment you need to get started.
- Otra Ola: Looking for an authentic way to experience the charm of Ecuador? Well, this relaxing surf camp that also offers Spanish and yoga classes is located in Ayampe. The instructors here have many years of experience under their belts and cater to all skill levels. Plus, they provide all the equipment you need to get going.
Interested in seeing more of what Ecuador is all about? Take a look at these top Ecuador tours to experience all this country has to offer!
As with any sport, surfing can be dangerous, so taking precautions is essential to ensure you stay safe. Here are some safety tips to keep in mind while surfing the waves of Ecuador:
- Always check the surf conditions before heading out. Ecuador's coastline can be unpredictable, so it's essential to know about hazards such as rip currents or rocks.
- Wear a leash. A leash is a cord that attaches your surfboard to your ankle, ensuring you don't lose your board if you fall off.
- Respect other surfers. Ecuador's surf spots can get crowded, so it's important to be mindful of other surfers to avoid collisions.
- Stay hydrated. Ecuador's climate can be hot and humid, so you'll need to drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration.
- Be aware of marine life. Ecuador's waters are home to various marine life, including sharks and jellyfish. Be cautious and avoid surfing in areas where these creatures are known to frequent.
- Know your limits. If you're a beginner, start with smaller waves and work your way up gradually. Only attempt to surf waves that are within your skill level.
How to Plan a Surfing Trip to Ecuador
Planning a surfing trip requires some preparation, but it doesn't have to be complicated. Here are some steps you can follow:
- Choose your destination. As I mentioned earlier, Ecuador has several surf spots to choose from. Consider your skill level, budget, and preferences to select the spot that's right for you.
- Research surf schools and companies. If you're new to surfing or want to improve your skills, research surf schools and companies that offer lessons and tours.
- Book accommodation. Ecuador has various accommodation options, from budget hostels to luxury resorts. Book your accommodation in advance to make sure they're available.
- Pack appropriately. Remember to pack your surf gear, including a wetsuit, board, leash, and wax. You'll also need to bring clothes for warm and humid weather, sunscreen, and insect repellent.
- Arrange transportation. If you're not renting a car, you'll need to arrange transportation to and from your surf spot. Consider booking a shuttle or using public transportation.
Useful Items to Bring on Your Ecuador Surf Trip
Here are some useful items to consider bringing on your surfing trip to Ecuador:
- Surfboard wax
- Surfboard leash
- Insect repellent
- Water bottle
- First aid kit
- Travel adapter
Taking on the waves in Ecuador is a must-do for any wave rider out there. With its diverse surf spots, stunning natural landscapes, and affordable prices, Ecuador is a dream destination for surfers of all skill levels.
Just make sure you stay safe by following the safety tips above, plan ahead, and pack the right gear. Then sit back and get ready for an epic and unforgettable surf adventure in Ecuador!
Plan Your Ecuador Surf Trip with Pilot!
Now that you know all the best surf spots and how to plan a trip to Ecuador, you can start to craft your ideal travel experience for you, your family, and your friends.