If you frequently fly for business or leisure, you would have met your fair share of frustrating experiences related to flight delays, gate changes, and other similar issues.
App in the Air claims it can help travelers address that frustration.
App in the Air is one of the well-known and celebrated services in the market today. It vouches to make your air travel experiences better and smoother by handling everything related to flights from beginning to end.
But does App in the Air delivers in its claims to help make the air travel experiences better and smoother? Can I really use it as my next personal travel assistant?
Find out how App in the Air really works and if it's really the only assistance you need "on air"!
What is App in the Air?
App in the Air is a mobile app designed for "frequent fliers" or "aviation geeks" who need assistance with their flights.=
Identifying itself as a personal travel assistant app, App in the Air keeps track of all flight-related information so you can optimize your travel experience. Consider it an information hub where you can access everything from flight bookings to the carbon footprint of your journeys.
App in the Air will also keep the user updated about the latest details regarding their air travel, ensuring you won't miss a flight or arrive too early for a delayed one!
App in the Air was launched in 2012 by Bayram Annakov, an avid traveler. The app is compatible with iOS and Android devices and has over 6 million users worldwide today!
Is App in the Air Free?
App in the Air is free to download and gives you access to a set of interesting functionalities such as,
- Past flight statistics like the number of miles flown, hours flown, countries visited, boarding passes, and the names of airlines you've traveled with.
- Track future flights by syncing with TripIt or forwarding details manually
- Airport tips from fellow travelers
However, you'll have to pay for its premium version to gain access to all the app's best functions. It's best to sign-up for the 14-day trial period and test how it works for you.
Tip: Ensure you unsubscribe to the free trial the day before to make sure you're not getting charged for the annual subscription fee!
How much does App in the Air cost?
While App in the Air is free, you won't get the most out of it without paying for its premium subscription.
Keep in mind that the prices and availability mentioned below may fluctuate. For the most up-to-date pricing, features, and availability, make sure to check out App in the Air's app store!
There are a few subscription options in the form of in-app purchases:
- Annual Premium Subscription: $29.99
- Monthly subscription for premium features: $4.99
- Lifetime Text/Push subscription for all flights alerts: $49.99
- Real-time flight status alerts for 5 flights$4.99
- Basic 1-year subscription$9.99
- 1-year subscription for flight status alerts$9.99
- Ad-free experience in the Trip Feed$0.99
- Annual real-time flight status subscription via Push Notifications or SMS: $26.99
- 3-month Push Notifications or SMS subscription$8.99
- Real-time flight status alerts for 20 flights via Push Notifications or SMS: $14.99
Here are the features premium version adds to the experience:
- Real-time flight updates like delays, gate changes, and other flight status details
- Automatic check-in with features like seat selection, e-ticket, etc.
How Does App in the Air Work?
App in the Air's features can be broken down into four stages, from pre-booking to post-flight.
- You can book flights directly from the app. All the necessary details regarding the flights, such as date of departure, time, terminal, and gate, will be saved for reference. Users can also book hotels via the app.
- Approximately 48 hours before departure, users can look for details like baggage allowance and plan their trip to the airport. You will also be notified when check-in opens, allowing you to book a seat of your liking.
- On the day of departure, you will be updated on the waiting time, lounge access, and any changes related to the flight via alerts.
- After landing, the app will update your travel stats, loyalty points, and other information while helping you with baggage and compensation claims for delays.
While these are the essential functions, there's more to the app.
The app allows you to import flight data from TripIt, saving you the time spent manually forwarding those details.
If you have multiple flights, clicking on one would tell you what needs to be done next, such as check-in, boarding, take-off, and landing.
What's Great About App in the Air
Convenient and easy
If you have to deal with many flight arrangements for a week or month, App in the Air is a handy way to organize things and keep track of them. The real-time alerts will keep you in the loop about flight updates, ensuring you won't miss important flights. The automatic check-in is another handy feature.
The app makes your airport experience more comfortable by searching for WiFi, providing recommendations on good places to eat, and other valuable tips from fellow travelers. Interestingly, it will also keep your family members updated about your flight status as long as their contact information is linked to the app.
Works in airplane mode
If you have another flight to catch and want to go through the details "on-air," you can do it without an issue. It works without an internet connection! One thing is that you won't be getting real-time alerts.
App in the Air surely knows how to keep travelers motivated. It awards you badges for every country visited, making you want to travel more! You can also view the destinations visited on a map and access the cool travel stats mentioned above. Overall, a fun app to have.
What's Not So Great About App in the Air
Although there's a free version, the best of the app comes at a price. Many Apps in the Air reviews had mentioned how the pricing could be cheaper, considering its other alternatives in the market. But, if you travel very often, the app could be worth the money.
Some users' review of App in the Air blamed the app for providing inaccurate information, such as wrong dates and times of departure.
This is a serious flaw, as you can miss the flight (some users have!) The app has also failed to provide timely updates on flight status in some cases. So, it's best not to rely on it entirely.
We came across many App in the Air reviews complaining about how it crashes or freezes frequently. Many users have also lost their past flight information after restarting the app.
Is App in the Air Worth It?
Yes, if you are a regular traveler!
We like how the app provides a comprehensive service for travelers. The well-designed UI makes it even more enjoyable to use. What's great is that you can also use it offline, making it a significant consideration as a travel assistant for you to organize everything together.
However, App on the Air has some drawbacks that question its reliability. For example, given how established the app is, the app is currently still buggy and may crash or freeze. The app's full features are also expensive, costing you 30$ per year.
So, consider these pros and cons before deciding, and let's hope your experience with the app will be great!
Our Rating: 4.1/5
- Useful Alerts & Notifications
- Convenient and easy to use
- Offline Mode
- Detailed stats
- Useful features behind a paywall
- Frequent bugs
- Discrepancies in the information presented
Plan with Pilot instead!
App in the Air might handle everything regarding your flights, but you'll still need a good travel planner to plan your trips!