Here's all you'll need to know about Topdeck, the tour guide company, including what its main features are, what their reviews look like, and if they're worth the try. Read on to find out.
Solo travel can be an amazing experience, but sometimes all the planning can be a bit much. That’s where tour guide companies come in handy.
You can kick your feet up and let them plan the nitty gritty of your next travel adventure. There are loads of companies out there, but in this article, we’ll give you an inside look at Topdeck.
What is Topdeck?
Topdeck is a travel company specializing in “meaningful group travel in Europe, New Zealand, the Middle East, Asia, Africa, and the Americas.” Their tours are geared towards 18-30 somethings (their words, not ours), and your group leader will help guide you through an itinerary filled with the must-sees, as well as local secrets.
What are the main features of Topdeck?
- Let someone else handle the logistics: Topdeck organizes the accommodation, excursions, meals, and transport. You can kick your feet up and enjoy your trip without having to worry about planning out every detail or getting from place to place
- Trip styles for everyone: Whether you’re wanting to travel by exploring a city in-depth, taking it easy with a “hotel trip” or going at it by boat, Topdeck has multiple trip styles from which to choose. This way, your holiday fits your vibe!
- Tour leaders: Every trip gets its own designated tour leader who is there to not only ensure you get where you need to be but to help you make the most of your trip.
- Mobile app: Once you’ve booked a Topdeck trip, you can download the Topdeck app to view your itinerary, set your own travel budget, and chat with the rest of your travel group to get to know them before departure
- Group tours: Topdeck only offers group tours, and while the size of the group varies from trip to trip, you’re sure to make some excellent travel buddies during your trip
- Exciting destinations: Topdeck offers tours all over the world with fun and exciting trips available in all of them!
Even if all of Topdeck’s main features sound like the perfect fit for you, it’s never a bad idea to read up on other travelers’ experiences. On tourradar, Topdeck has a rating of 4.6/5 stars spread out over more than 4,500 reviews. This is pretty indicative that many travelers are happy with their Topdeck tours!
The most recent low star reviews are in relation to the Coronavirus pandemic, including comments indicating that Topdeck didn’t issue refunds to customers whose trips were canceled, but vouchers instead. They have since added a flexibility promise for all tours booked before 30 September 2021, which includes Covid-19 related assurances.
What can Topdeck do better?
- Jam-packed itineraries: Topdeck tours involve lots of early mornings, large travel distances, and sometimes very little time between cities. This means you can’t really explore each city at your own pace and will be forced to fit your sightseeing dreams into the already planned schedule
- No customization: Since Topdeck operates group tours with set itineraries, you can’t opt-out of a city, or choose to add on an additional day trip if you wanted. Some travelers have commented that the accommodations weren’t what they had expected (be sure to double-check if you’ve booked a hotel or a hostel trip, as these will have different accommodation packages)
- Not all meals are included: One frequent remark from travelers is that while some meals are included in your booking, they aren’t all. This means you might need to budget more for those additional meals, so be sure to check the meal inclusions when you book
- Hidden costs: While Topdeck tours do come with some included experiences, most entrance fees or top sights you might want to visit are not included in your tour price. Topdeck does a great job of getting you to must-see places, but they don’t necessarily include the must-see sights.
- Big group travel: Some of Topdeck’s tours can have up to 48 travelers, so if you prefer intimate group travel settings, many of their tours won’t be a good fit for you.
How much are Topdeck tours?
Prices for a Topdeck tour will depend on the dates you want to travel, where you want to go, and the duration of the trip. Longer tours will cost more. You can explore Bali on a seven-day trip for as little as $806, or spend 36 days in Europe starting at $7,249. At the time of writing this post, the shortest trip offered by Tourdeck runs for four days, while the longest runs for 36.
In addition to the tour price, you will be responsible for the cost of your flights, visas (if required), additional meals, and entrance fees to non-included excursions.
Occasionally, Topdeck offers deals you can take advantage of to save some money. There are also discounts available for returning travelers, people booking a trip with a friend, and those who book multiple trips at once!
Canceling a Topdeck tour
If you booked a Topdeck tour but can’t go for any reason, you must cancel your trip in writing via email. Once you cancel, you will be charged a cancellation fee, which will depend on how many days prior to your trip you’re canceling. If you cancel over 60 days before the start of your trip, you will be charged no fees. There is no information on their website about refunds outside of Covid-19 related refunds.
Topdeck contact info
If you have any questions that can’t be answered with their live chat function online, you can pick up the phone and call Topdeck the old-fashioned way! Depending on where you’re located, the numbers will vary, so check here for your local number.
What’s the verdict?
Topdeck is a great way to travel by group and is perfect if you’re wanting to leave all the planning to someone else. You’ll be able to tour the world with minimal stress about itineraries and accommodation, and be guided by a fantastic tour leader to make the journey that much more fun! For some Topdeck inspiration, check out their Instagram page!
If solo travel is more your jam, no worries! Here at Pilot, we want to help you plan out the perfect adventure. Check out our site for itinerary planning ideas, destination inspiration, budgeting tips, and more to make travel a breeze.
Want inspiration for travel? Why not sign up for our travel newsletter, Flightdeck? It's a weekly dose of all things travel, from news to entertainment. Sign up now!